The Handwork teacher

I am a mother to two beautiful girls and I teach Handwork and Fine Arts in our local waldorf charter school in Arizona.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Handwork curriculum this year

So
It's now time to order supplies, dye yarn and check inventory...maybe not in that order :)

My curriculum for this year will be.....and it is subject to change....as handwork teachers we have such nice flexible range of things to pull from.

1st-
hand spin small piece of yarn
Finger knit draw sting for handwork bag (they are all pink)
finger knit necklace
roll ball of yarn with shell in side for their cat
make knitting needles
learn to cast
Lean to knit with verse (under the fence catch the sheep back we come and off we leap)
knit a square to make a cat..sew it up and stuff
finger knit collar and add a bell
knit a plant dyed yarn bird
knit a Pentatonic flute case
knit a bear
knit a ball


2nd grade
Braid draw sting for orange handwork bags
knit a mouse (a square)
Knit a lion (plant dyed yellow, orange)
Knit/ purl an owl ...its a square with felt eyes and wings on it
knit a gnome
crochet a chain
crochet a pot holder


3rd grade

crochet a chain for drawstring for yellow handwork bags
crochet a bracelet
crochet a soap bag
crochet a recorder case
crochet a puppet (a large person for stone soup)
weave on the lap loom
crochet a pencil case with liner and zipper
crochet a hat

4th grade

learn sewing stitches....chain, back stitch, blanket stitch, cross stitch
choose linen solid colored fabric for handwork bag.
Draw form drawing on paper for their handwork bag
copy the form drawing onto their handwork bag
use embroidery hoops for their handwork bags.
use chain stitch onto of their form drawing
pin handwork bag together and do a french seam with a draw sting loop at the top
double finger loop for the draw sting
cross stitch fountain pen case
cross stitch pouch (i pod case, cell phone case or money pouch)
sew needle book

5th grade
this is where I have questions.....

advanced group
knit socks

2nd half of the year take new students and knit hats and horses.

6th grade
adopt an endangered animal
make a felt animal that looks similar to the one they adopted
make a felt table puppet
make a marionette

7th grade
make a felted person
felt slippers

8th grade
make aprons for serving pizza
make jewel bags for 1st grade
make fleece hat
make quilted pillow
make some article of clothing for their play

9th grade
first block
Basket weaving
second block
spinning

6 comments:

FairiesNest said...

What a fabulous list! This makes me miss teaching kids.

woolladyfelter said...

Oh my - you are so much ahead of me... I will have to dig deep this coming week to catch up. I did place my yarn order however...

Anonymous said...

What a great list! Do you do woodwork too or is that a separate teacher? Grade 5 is a great time to use the will to find form in wood. Make a toy or windvane with movable parts from plywood, care for the tools, find organic form in carving a fish or an egg.
Knitting with socks with three needles or gloves, mittens or a beanie with four needles in circular is great too.
Thanks for all the inspiration :-)

Josephine said...

Great list! Hi I am the Handwork teacher for the Waldorf School of Garden City. Can you send me your pattern for the bear? (This is my first year teaching handwork in several years.) I will be teaching grades 1-6. Thanks Josephine

Josephine said...

Great list! Hi I am the Handwork teacher for the Waldorf School of Garden City. Can you send me your pattern for the bear? (This is my first year teaching handwork in several years.) I will be teaching grades 1-6. Thanks Josephine

Teaching Handwork said...

Josephine-
if you email me I can give you more
email family born at hot mail

all one word