The Handwork teacher

I am a mother to two beautiful girls and I teach Handwork and Fine Arts in our local waldorf charter school in Arizona.

Friday, October 24, 2008

I got a spinning wheel!

A family at school just donated a Spinning wheel to the handwork room!!!!!!!!! score!!!!

But here is the bad news.....I had this spinning wheel for not even an hour when my 6th grade class comes into the room and one of the children walks over to the spinning wheel (behind me) and starts to jump sideways on the wheel. I hear a crack......I turn around quickly and say, "you did not just crack our new spinning wheel did you?"
He did not break the wood but he broke the leather strap that connects the peddle to the wheel. I was so upset, I actually wanted to cry...for about 5 seconds...that's an eternity for a teacher.
To explained to him that he was not invited to use the wheel, he needs to always ask a teacher before using a new item in a room, it doesn't matter what room he is in or who he is with. He should never start to jump on something that looks like a tool for a class.
It took me another 5 or so minutes before I was able to really calm down....I was so upset and this class had never seem me upset before.
so I told him he had to fix it with his dad.

After school another father came into the handwork room and actually fixed it with me...we used thick wool felt to make the strap.

All is well, but there was a very big lesson for this child to learn......DON'T touch tools in the handwork room unless you are invited to first or you ask to touch them....SECOND don't climb on every fun looking object you see, it might be VERY expensive!

Good news is I was able to take it home and will begin spinning....once I am done with this post :)

AND our 9th grade will be able to use this next year......can't wait!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

That would have been hard for me to take too! Sigh. You have a high school....

waldorfmama said...

so sorry to hear about your mishap with the spinning wheel. glad it all worked out and that you now are able to use it! what a wonderful donation from that thoughtful family. :) on another note, i'm having an ostheimer giveaway on my blog, so come and check it out. :)

Annette said...

Oh my goodness, my heart just about broke with the spinning wheel! I'm so glad you were able to get it fixed some quickly, and hopefully some lessons were learned about carelessness.

Ayla said...

Just reading that story I wanted to cry with you. I'm so glad you were able to fix it but I can't imagine the momentary horror you felt when you heard that crack.
*hugs*

FairiesNest said...

Now there's something I'd love to learn!

woolladyfelter said...

Now you will be able to teach us at school - you will be so good at it! I'm sure you were upset when it broke but it sounds better now... I am hoping for a wheel for christmas. Keep your fingers crossed. I cant wait to see some of your spinning work - please post!