The Handwork teacher

I am a mother to two beautiful girls and I teach Handwork and Fine Arts in our local waldorf charter school in Arizona.

Monday, November 17, 2008

This week in the handwork room

First off.....I juggle A LOT OF STUFF!!! A LOT OF CLASSES and A LOT of kids
Here is a window into my world....



This is how I set up my class for 1 through 5th grade. I have 1/2 of 1st grade. they are on the floor. then I go straight to my next class, so I have their work set on the chairs. the orange bags are 2nd grade. I go with the color of their grade.
8th grade quilted pillow and fleece mittens....we are going to play in snow in a month and they need mittens......we don't get snow in our area....we have to drive 2 1/2 hours to find it
6th grade marionettes. we have 13 in this section...we split handwork with woodwork. I get the next 13 after winter break. the puppets are almost done!
sewing machines covered for the majority of the week. this is a corner of the Handwork room
3rd grade stone soup crochet puppets. we have 26 kids in this class....its going to be lots of villagers!
6th grade lantern walk charcoal picture
7th grade creation picture...we had fun with this one

8th grade
The first graders have decided that this is the terrible knot gnome. I keep moving him around class. I made him last year with 7th grade....he actually is Rumpelstiltskin
1st grade flute case. 8 different colors. 2 rib rows per color


8th grade quilted squares

8 comments:

Sarah said...

It is a lot. Our handwork teacher goes into the classrooms for grades 1 - 5 which must help keep things more organized in the handwork room.

Hels has handwork all year, woodwork all year AND a double period of art. I'm not sure how it all gets fit in. I see you do art and handwork.

Iris said...

This is great! I love seeing what you're working on and the environment you create. You give me so much inspiration for ideas of what to do with my girls in the future. I also really like how you hang the marionettes and puppets.

Kewal said...

Thank you for sharing this peek! That is amazing planning, coordinating, juggling - and look at the awesome stuff the kids make!

Very cool!

Anna said...

Your class looks like so much fun!

taisa said...

I loved this little glimpse into your handwork world- thanks!

Mary Beth said...

I love all this so much. I wish we had a Waldorf school here!!

FairiesNest said...

I loved the pictures of your classroom, what a wonderful environment for creating! When I was teaching, I had a horrible room that was Always too hot...but we had so much fun we usually didn't care. And that knot gnome must have a cousin that lives in my studio! He's been terrible this week!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful room I like the idea of colour coding the craft bags. I teach handcraft in Australia.