The Handwork teacher

I am a mother to two beautiful girls and I teach Handwork and Fine Arts in our local waldorf charter school in Arizona.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

7th grade art class





So during our 9 week fine arts block I have been really enjoying working with the 7th grade. This has to be one of my favorite classes. They have good manors and they are well trained in the art area.

Today the mainlesson teacher and 3 other parents and I went to the Art Museum. we were able to be so close to such wonderful art. I had given the children pictures of the art and taught them the artists names several weeks ago so that when they saw the paintings they had a connection. which they did!!! they were delighted to see the same picture that had been in their class as a small 4X6 picture and now a large 7 foot tall oil painting

What is amazing about these paintings is the they are all painted again and again... in a series. the artist just repeated the work...for different reasons...perfectionism, money, politics, wanting to see the different seasons or light change...etc.

It was wonderful! and I think it is very important to share the experience of going to a museum and seeing paintings that are 100+ years old with your class or your children at home.

2 comments:

dawn klinge said...

I showed my daughter a few paintings that I knew she would see before we went to a museum in San Francisco this year and it did make a big difference in how she related to those paintings when she saw them at the museum. I wish we had a fine arts museum closer to us.

Lisa Anne said...

I love going to art museums. Sounds like a fun day.