The Handwork teacher

I am a mother to two beautiful girls and I teach Handwork and Fine Arts in our local waldorf charter school in Arizona.

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Update on the aprons

I LOVE this pattern. I just ordered it for my 8th grade...the boys will just make a simple waist apron with pockets to make up for what the girls have to do.

Here you can see the Aprons that the 7th grade hand stitched. we made up the design in a simple blazzay boring. just the shape of a capital A. Well it started out that I didn't' like the design of the aprons from the get go. and what kind of project does a handwork teacher assign that she doesn't like herself?!

I wanted to get a treadle and have them use that instead of hand sewing it....



But they did it!!!
they spent most of day on Thursday with me..both recesses and some skipped math class and Spanish to come and be with me in class while I taught other classes. They just sat at the table and did their work...totally ignoring that I was sining to the 1st grade and telling riddles to the 4th grade and so on. On Thursday they also had a 45 period with me, so I have to say that was the longest stretch of time I have every been with them...and they sure talk about food a lot...it must be because they are growing . I don't remember thinking and talking about food that much when I was in 7th grade, but maybe I did and I just don't remember.


Next year I won't have them make this apron in 7th grade by hand... I will save it for 8th grade on the machine with a really fun pattern!!!!.

I did just run into a GREAT apron designs for 8th grade on the sewing machines. its called Emeline Apron ( the picture on the top)





1 comment:

Tara said...

Oh, I just bought that apron pattern myself. Big fun!